April 23rd, 2019
President Kevin Quinn welcomed fellow Rotarians and guests to the Rotary Club of La Jolla, noting our truly inspirational view and meeting place.
Inspiration: Randy Mulch
Pledge: Susan Stevens
Song: Bill Burch
Patty Meanley, wife of Club member Bill Meanley; and Jessica Smith of Banner Bank, a guest of Rich Velasquez.
- Wade Ashbrenner– Scholarship Interviews – May 18th @ 7:30am-12:00 noon
- Kevin Quinn announced that the previously announced “Ocho de Mayo” social gathering at Jose’s restaurant will now be celebrated on May 9th– “Nueve de Mayo!”
- June 29 – Torrey Pines Rotary Club’s 55th Anniversary dinner at La Jolla Country Club. All are invited.
- Bob Pecora– Strive Scholarship Interviews – Friday, May 3rd at 8:30am at Garfield High School. There is an effort in the process to rename the Strive Scholarship program in honor of its founders, stay tuned.
- Bill Burch– Rotarians at Work Day – Saturday, April 27. Meet behind the La Jolla Post Office at 8:30 am
- Cindy Goodman– La Jolla Half Marathon – Sunday, April 28th. Things are in place for this weekend. If you are working our water station and did not let Cindy know your shirt size, let her know … now!
- 2019 Foundation Gala is on April 29
- 2019 Governors Dinner – La Jolla Marriott – June 27th at 6pm
Singlehanded TransPac Race Experience: Bill Meanley
Fellow Club member Bill Meanley recounted his adventures participating in the Singlehanded TransPac race twice. The race is a solo-sailing race from San Francisco Bay to Nawiliwili Harbor, Kauai, Hawaii. The Singlehanded Sailing Society has put on the race every two years since it started in 1978. There are only 20 or so participants at each running. Bill says the race has been called “A bug light for weirdos with boats.” Bill shared some of his experiences, from the challenge of getting to San Francisco when the weather allows to sleeping only 20 minutes at a time to make sure the boat does not accidently get rammed by a freight ship! Bill assured us that his 2016 and 2018 Singlehanded Transpac races are enough, and that he probably won’t sail the solo event again.Congratulations to Bill on his two successful runs, and thank you for sharing the experience!
Speaker: Susan Treadgold, Treadgold Executive Development
Femie Cupit introduced speaker Susan Treadgold, who is a San Diego- and London-based holistic executive coach, founder of Treadgold Executive Development, best-selling author, award-winning speaker and transformational trainer. Ms. Treadgold is a faculty member of the UCSD Rady School of Management’s ‘Elevate’ Executive Leadership program and co-creator of the Radiance Reboot Retreat. Her passion is helping people create sustainable peak performance and success by learning to increase confidence, energy, executive presence and productivity. She shared a condensed leadership seminar with us, using the word LEAP, in an acrostic.
A high performing leader must demonstrate:
Leadership — specifically and immediately, rushing to congratulate others on their accomplishments.
Energy — have it, share it, promote it. “Energy is everything, and that’s all there is to it.” (Albert Einstein)
Advance Communication. Communicate who you are, what your vision is and how to get there.
Presentation skills: A leader must develop presentation skills to lead others. As William Shakespeare said, “All the world is a stage.”
President’s Closing Quote:
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.–William Arthur Ward
Reported by Randy Mulch. Photos by Shabnam Miglani. Edited by Diane Salisbury.
Check Out this Weeks News Bits. Click the Logo Below
From The Pages of:
Club Meetings Unless otherwise noted, all club meetings are Tuesday, 12:00 noon – 1:30 p.m. at La Valencia Hotel, 1132 Prospect St., La Jolla (Map) Check out the Upcoming Guest Speakers on the Club Calendar
- Rotary District 5340 4 Way Test Speech Finals
Apr 25, 2019
11:45 AM – 1:30 PM
- Rotarians at Work Day
Apr 27, 2019
- 2019 Foundation Gala
Apr 29, 2019
6:00 PM – 10:00 PM
- Thousand Smiles Clinic
May 03, 2019 8:00 AM –
May 04, 2019 3:00 PM
- 2019 Rotary International Convention Hamburg
Jun 01, 2019 – Jun 05, 2019
- District 5340 Reception and Fellowship in Hamburg
Jun 02, 2019
5:00 PM – 7:00 PM
- Governors Dinner
Jun 27, 2019
5:30 PM – 9:00 PM
- Thousand Smiles Clinic
Aug 02, 2019 8:00 AM –
Aug 03, 2019 3:00 PM
- Distrct Membership Seminar
Aug 10, 2019
8:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Click here to visit the district website.
- Rotary Club of La Jolla is one of sixty clubs in the San Diego area’s Rotary District 5340 and one of the 34,000 clubs that make up our parent organization,
- Published weekly by Rotary Club of La Jolla Visit our club website: http://www.rotarycluboflajolla.com/ Friend us on Facebook Questions/Issues/Feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org