April 2nd, 2019
President Kevin Quinn called the meeting to order and welcomed fellow Rotarians and guests to the Rotary Club of La Jolla.
Inspiration was given by Wade Aschbrenner
Pledge was given by Randy Mulch
Song was by Bill Burch who reminded us of the old time Rotary Song Book and led us in singing THE ROTARY SONG
Introduction of Guests:
Ryan Davis, formerly a US Marine who is now working with Project First Light.
Ann Holt, guest of Chuck Marsh
Christopher Pace, guest of Peter Nguyen
Pam Campbell, guest of Lina Elliot
Aayush Shaw of Banner Bank
- Jane Reldan shared that John Todd is expected to return home soon after some physical setbacks.
- Dave Brockett announced that quarterly invoices have been sent out. If you have questions, please check with the check-in desk.
- Our club Board Meeting was at 5PM that evening at Peter Nguyen’s office.
- Bob Pecora is still looking for volunteers to interview students for the STRIVE scholarships. The interviews will be held on Friday, May 3rdat 8:30 AM at the Garfield High School.
- RYLA is from April 12-14th
- RYLA needs assistance. Unfortunately, our RYLA doctor cannot attend RYLA this year. If anyone knows of a Rotarian doctor that might be interested in assisting at RYLA, please contact Mike Metts. The extent of the medical assistance is usually scrapes and bruises, so not too strenuous, but they really need a doctor at the camp. If you have someone who may be able to help, please contact Mike Metts by phone at 619-417-6304 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 3:00 PM – La Jolla Music Society/George Li, Piano will be performing. It is the opening week of The Conrad.
- Bill Burch reminded us about the Rotarians at Work Day on Saturday, April 27th. There will be food, fellowship and fun while renewing hanging planters around La Jolla… but no Rotarians on ladders!
- Cindy Goodman announced that the La Jolla Half Marathon is on Sunday, April 28th. They have several volunteers and would welcome a few more. A sign-up sheet was circulated for t-shirt size.
- Charles Hartford shared that the Rotary District Training Assembly was on March 30th.It was well attended by our club members. Cindy Goodman, Shabnam Miglani, Dirk Harris, Susan Rutan, Laurnie Durisoe attended along with Charles. Two club members are required to attend the sessions for the District Grants as well as the Global Grants.
- Rotary District 5340 Padres Outing will be on Tuesday, April 16th at 6:10pm as the Padres take on the Colorado Rockies. Before the game, catch District Governor Mel Gallegos throw out the first pitch and the annual Rotary Flag Raising Ceremony. Purchase deadline was April 1stat midnight.
- There is an opportunity for Rotarians to attend the 2nd Annual East Africa Rotary Projects Fair.
- The 2019 Rotary Foundation Gala is on April 29, 2019.
President Kevin shared the following regarding RAAM:
The Race Across America, better known as RAAM. We have assembled a four-rider team along with a crew to represent Rotary Clubs from around the world participating in the Polio Plus campaign to eradicate Polio throughout the world. This is our fourth year to participate in RAAM. This race starts on June 15th, 2019 in Oceanside, CA and we hope to reach the finish by June 22th in Annapolis, MD. We will travel approximately 3,000 miles during what has been called one of the toughest events in the world.
- Finished 1st place in our Category – 50-59 mixed
- Set the Record for speed in our Category!!
- MOST IMPORTANTLY!! We raised over ONE MILLION for PolioPlus!!!
Our Team asks you to speak with and encourage your members to make a donation to help eradicate POLIO from the world!! Our goal this year is $1,200,000 and we cannot do it without YOU!!
Bill Burch is happy to share that his older son is accepted to Texas A&M to study mechanical engineering.
Claire Reiss is happy that her daughter who was in a car accident is going to be OK, and her daughter was able to attend mass with her at church for the first time in a while.
John Trifiletti seems happy regarding the upcoming demotion party!
Dr. Jane Reldan is happy that her new venture in making house calls to patients is going well and becoming the main focus of her practice.
Charles Hartford introduced our speaker today. Garry J. Bonelli is the Chairman of the Board of The Port of San Diego. Garry is a retired Navy SEAL and Rear Admiral. Garry shared that when he joined the US Navy, a Chief Petty Officer showed a scuba diving film and Garry volunteered and ended up being sent to a place called Coronado. 50 years later he is here as part of the leadership team for the Port of San Diego with its 51 miles of waterfront.
The Port champions Maritime, Waterfront Development, Public Safety, experiences and environment, all focused on enriching the relationship people and businesses have with our dynamic waterfront. From cargo and cruise terminals to hotels and restaurants, from marinas to museums, from 22 public parks to countless events, the Port contributes to the region’s prosperity and remarkable way of life on a daily basis. The Port generates jobs and strengthens the local economy.
Garry shared the following:
· $4.5 Billion annual imports through the Port
· 1 in 10 cars imported to the United States come through our Port.
· The Chula Vista waterfront renewal encompasses 500 acres.
· As the waterfront develops, public “courtesy docks” are increasing.
· The San Diego Symphony’s new venue by the Embarcadero should be finished in 5 years.
· Water quality in the Port is the best it has been in 50 years.
President Kevin closed the meeting with the following Quote:
We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch – we are going back from whence we came. John F. Kennedy
Reported by Randy Mulch. Photos By Shabnam Miglani. Guest Editor Shabnam Miglani
Check Out this Weeks News Bits. Click the Logo Below
From The Pages of:
Club Meetings Unless otherwise noted, all club meetings are Tuesday, 12:00 noon – 1:30 p.m. at La Valencia Hotel, 1132 Prospect St., La Jolla (Map) Check out the Upcoming Guest Speakers on the Club Calendar
- Model UN 2019
Apr 06, 2019 – Apr 07, 2019
- RYLA Youth Conference
Apr 12, 2019 – Apr 14, 2019
- Rotary District 5340 4 Way Test Speech Finals
Apr 25, 2019
11:45 AM – 1:30 PM
- Rotarians at Work Day
Apr 27, 2019
- 2019 Foundation Gala
Apr 29, 2019
6:00 PM – 10:00 PM
- Thousand Smiles Clinic
May 03, 2019 8:00 AM –
May 04, 2019 3:00 PM
- 2019 Rotary International Convention Hamburg
Jun 01, 2019 – Jun 05, 2019
- District 5340 Reception and Fellowship in Hamburg
Jun 02, 2019
5:00 PM – 7:00 PM
- Governors Dinner
Jun 27, 2019
5:30 PM – 9:00 PM
- Thousand Smiles Clinic
Aug 02, 2019 8:00 AM –
Aug 03, 2019 3:00 PM
- Distrct Membership Seminar
Aug 10, 2019
8:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Click here to visit the district website.
- Rotary Club of La Jolla is one of sixty clubs in the San Diego area’s Rotary District 5340 and one of the 34,000 clubs that make up our parent organization,
- Published weekly by Rotary Club of La Jolla Visit our club website: http://www.rotarycluboflajolla.com/ Friend us on Facebook Questions/Issues/Feedback: email@example.com