December 18th, 2018
Before officially beginning the meeting, President Kevin Quinn welcomed La Valencia Guest Services Manager Nancy Hirsch and the hotel’s dining room wait staff to the podium to thank them for providing excellent service at our meetings. Dave Westin, who was the longest-standing club member present, noted Gilberto in particular, whohas been serving at the hotel since 1973. All Rotary presidents, past and present, owe their smooth-running meetings (and lower blood pressure) to the excellent service hotel staff provides. Kevin presented a year-end thank-you check to our servers.
Kevin Quinn rang the Rotary bell and opened the meeting with a welcome to fellow Rotarians and guests of the Rotary Club of La Jolla. He noted the meeting marked the halfway point in his term as president. He also reminded all that Rotary will be dark for the next two weeks, resuming on January 8, 2019
Inspiration: Judy Nelson spoke about keeping the spirit of Christmas in our hearts every day.
Pledge: Anya Rayes
Song: Aaron Hoffman, “God Bless America”
Rotarians Maria Pia Casarini from the Rotary Club of Fermo, Italy, and Peter Wadhams from Rotary Club of Cambridge, U.K. joined us. Bill Boehm brought as his guest daughter Lydia,home from London for the holidays. Alfio Conti, proprietor of La Dolce Vita Ristorante in La Jolla joined us as a guest of John Trifiletti.
Holiday Party Recap
Bill Burch (a.k.a. “Santa” a.k.a. “Easy Rider”) gave a party recap. He reported that the La Jolla Rotary Holiday party is one of Santa’s “faves,” and Santa could not have been jollier at this year’s turnout: 90 attendees. The crowd included 15 children, who received special gifts from Santa, regardless of where they fell on the naughty-or-nice spectrum. Cheers!
Paul Harris Award
Kevin Quinn asked Sid Stutz to the podium, where he and Will Creekmur presented him with his “plus 1” Paul Harris pin, recognizing outstanding contributions to Rotary International.
- President Quinn announced the first “Cocktails with Kevin” will be held this Thursday, December 20 at La Dolce Vita on Prospect Street, beginning at 5pm. Stop by to help Kevin celebrate his first 6 months as President.
- Randy Mulch thanked all of the Rotary bell-ringers, who helped out at the red kettle in front of Von’s on December 14thand 15thin support of the Salvation Army. The “take” from our club’s efforts was $852.89! Our club also raised a couple of hundred pounds of canned goods to go to needy families.
- Pat Stouffer announced that tickets are selling fast to the Saturday, January 19 Alison Brown Quintet Rotary Benefit Concert at the La Jolla Athenaeum. Alison’s banjo-playing style is rooted in bluegrass technique with jazz, Celtic and world music influences.This will be an unforgettable concert! All proceeds benefit our club’s Avenues of Service fund. Purchase tickets online at rotarycluboflajolla.com. Shopping hint: tickets make an ideal stocking-stuffer or gift for friends who have everything. Only 50 left, so don’t delay!
- Kevin Quinn reminded club members to let Sally Fuller know if they wish to attend the La Jolla Music Society’s April 14thconcert during opening week of The Conrad. Forty tickets have been reserved for those who have signed up, and more are available.
- On January 11th the La Jolla Triangle Rotary will host a breakfast meeting with Rotary International President Barry Rassin. Let Kevin know if you plan to attend. Tijuana Rotary has also invited us to attend the January 12th“Festival of Kings” in Tijuana.
- Orrin Gabsch donated in honor of Dave Brockett’s community service doing free dental work.
- Kevin Quinn was happy at the opportunity to get to know his fellow Rotary bell-ringers during the Salvation Army fund drive.
2019-2020 Slate for Vote
John Trifiletti gave the last of four readings of the 2019-2020 Slate of Directors and Officers.
- Directors: Femie Cupit, Club Service; Peter Nguyen, Membership; Rich Velasquez, Vocational Service; Laurnie Durisoe, Community Service; Shabnam Miglani, International Service; Craig Schniepp, Youth Service; Communications, Diane Salisbury
- Officers: Susan Rutan, treasurer; Chuck Marsh, secretary; Kevin Quinn, past president; Charles Hartford, president (2019-20); Dirk Harris, president-elect.
John called for the motion to approve. The motion was made and seconded. The slate was approved by unanimous vote.
Speaker: Captain Isaac Sanchez, Cal Fire San Diego
Pat Stouffer introduced today’s speaker. Isaac Sanchez has served 23 years with Cal Fire San Diego (CFSD) and in a variety of positions. He is currently CFSD’s Public Information Officer. Cal Fire is the state’s fire department, with the mission of protecting the natural resources of California. The San Diego division, CFSD, is responsible for 1.2 million acres of unincorporated area. In addition to fire protection, their programs include law enforcement, fire prevention, pipeline safety, and building code enforcement. There are three areas of responsibility for fire prevention in California: Cal Fire, Federal government, and local governments. The three areas team up as needed to improve service through collaborative agreements. The year of 2018 has been one of the most devastating fire seasons, with 876,131 acres burned, compared to an average of 233,428. Today’s fires are more frequent, more intense, and longer lasting.
President’s Closing Quote
Christmas is a season for kindling the fire for hospitality in the hall, and the genial flame of charity in the heart. – Washington Irving
Holiday Greetings from Gwyn Jones & Family
Reported by Diane Salisbury. Photos By Susan Rutan and Shabnam Miglani. Edited by Diane Salisbury.
Check Out this Weeks News Bits. Click the Logo Below
From The Pages of:
Club Meetings Unless otherwise noted, all club meetings are Tuesday, 12:00 noon – 1:30 p.m. at La Valencia Hotel, 1132 Prospect St., La Jolla (Map) Check out the Upcoming Guest Speakers on the Club Calendar
- Rotary Leadership Institute
Jan 12, 2019
- Peace Forum
Feb 23, 2019
- 2019 District Conference
Mar 01, 2019 12:00 PM –
Mar 03, 2019 11:00 AM
- RYLA Youth Conference
Apr 12, 2019 – Apr 14, 2019
- 2019 Foundation Gala
Apr 29, 2019
6:00 PM – 10:00 PM
- Click here to visit the district website.
- Rotary Club of La Jolla is one of sixty clubs in the San Diego area’s Rotary District 5340 and one of the 34,000 clubs that make up our parent organization,
- Published weekly by Rotary Club of La Jolla Visit our club website: http://www.rotarycluboflajolla.com/ Friend us on Facebook Questions/Issues/Feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org