February 19th, 2019
President Kevin Quinn called the meeting to order and welcomed fellow Rotarians and guests to the Rotary Club of La Jolla.
Inspiration: Richard Velasquez read a quote from Mother Theresa.
Pledge: Dave Brockett
Song: Randy Mulch, recalling the popular book “Everything I Ever Learned, I Learned in Kindergarten,” took us back to our childhood with “If You’re Happy and You Know It, Clap Your Hands.”
Michael Lancaster, a Brit, who came to California 40 years ago to work in Silicon Valley. He’s now retired, living in La Jolla and considering joining the club.
Burton Housman Memorial
Russell King reported on Burton Housman’s memorial service, held last week at the La Jolla Quaker Meeting House on Eads Avenue. Eighteen Rotary Club members attended. Russell commented on the diversity of attendees, only something that Burton could have brought about. He attributed it to Burton’s great capacity to listen and suggested we honor Burton by listening a little more.
- Zeke Knight was very touched that the Club made him an Honorary Member, and looks forward to attending more meetings.
- Sally Fuller’s son is dealing with illness. She asks that we keep him in our thoughts and prayers.
- Pat Stouffer continues to do better and is likely to return next week.
- The Surf Beat team could use one more reporter. If you’ve always wanted to live the exciting life of a journalist – this is your chance! The commitment is about once per month to take meeting notes using a simple template. For more information, contact Surf Beat Editor Diane Salisbury at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- International Committee Chair Susan Rutan will be presenting at the District Conference on our planned humanitarian trip to Puerto Rico.
- The 2019 District Conference is from March 1-3, 2019 at the Catamaran Hotel in Pacific Beach.
- Rotary 101 2018 District Training Assembly will be held on March 30th. This once-a-year meeting offers training to Rotarians including club officers, directors and committee chairs to help them become more effective club leaders. Red Badgers are welcome and encouraged to attend. If you’d like more information, see Charles Hartford.
- The 2019 Rotary Foundation Gala is on April 29, 2019.
- The 8thAnnual District 5340/Kroc School Peace Forum is on Saturday, February 23, 2019 from 8AM-12Noon at the Joan Kroc Institute for Peace and Justice at the University of San Diego. This event is free of charge.
- The La Jolla Music Society’s concert with pianist George Li is on Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 3 PM. The tickets are $38. We have sold out the original 40 tickets reserved, but more can be purchased. Please contact Sally Fuller if interested.
RYLA Update: Craig Schniepp
Craig Schniepp gave an overview of the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA) weekend coming up April 12-14. Before the weekend event, interviews will be held to select the students that our club will sponsor. If you are interested in being an interviewer and meeting these inspiring youth, contact Craig. Interviews will be on Thursday, February 28thfrom 8am to noon.
- Ken King gave happy bucks in thanks for a nice, clear day without rain.
- Elyse Banks was equally happy for the nice weather.
- Aaron Hoffman related to Russell King’s comment about Burton’s memorial and trying to become a better listener. During his graduate work at Wayne State University, Aaron wrote a thesis on listening!
- Kevin Quinn added that Burton “talked the talk and walked the walk.”
Guest Speaker: Tim Chelling, Executive Director, Mt. Soledad National Veterans Memorial
Charles Hartford introduced Tim Chelling, whose career includes military, media, government and non-profit leadership roles. He attended University of Notre Dame and is a veteran of the U.S. Air Force. He is the recipient of the Presidential Unit Citation, the Vietnam Service Medal, and the National Defense Service Medal, among other awards. Mr. Chelling has been Executive Director of the Mt. Soledad National Veterans Memorial for two years, and gave the club an overview of the memorial, who it serves and how, and what’s new. Highlights from his talk include:
- Soledad, which reaches 880 feet high, is the result of the Rose Canyon fault. It offers one of the best views in the county, and more and more is becoming a point of interest for those visiting San Diego.
- The memorial was created in 1954 to honor veterans from the two world wars and the Korean Conflict. It is privately funded.
- There are 5,024 granite plaques at the memorial, including 6 presidents.
- 60% of those honored at the memorial are living veterans.
New developments include an expansion of its docent program and new educational outreach programs, such as an oral history project initiated with SDSU. They are also trying to install Wi-Fi at the memorial so that a “locater app” can be used to help visitors locate plaques of interest. Several partnerships that honor veterans are also in the works, notably with the U.S.S. Midway, San Diego Padres and the San Diego Gulls.
President’s Closing Quote:
In honor of Burton Housman, Kevin Quinn offered the following:
“There are men and women who make the world better just by being the kind of people they are. They have the gift of kindness or courage or loyalty or integrity. It really matters very little whether they are behind the wheel of a truck or running a business or bringing up a family. They teach the truth by living it.” – James Garfield
Reported by Diane Salisbury. Photos By David Shaw . Edited by Diane Salisbury.
Check Out this Weeks News Bits. Click the Logo Below
From The Pages of:
Club Meetings Unless otherwise noted, all club meetings are Tuesday, 12:00 noon – 1:30 p.m. at La Valencia Hotel, 1132 Prospect St., La Jolla (Map) Check out the Upcoming Guest Speakers on the Club Calendar
- Peace Forum
Feb 23, 2019
- 2019 District Conference
Mar 01, 2019 12:00 PM –
Mar 03, 2019 11:00 AM
- RYLA Youth Conference
Apr 12, 2019 – Apr 14, 2019
- 2019 Foundation Gala
Apr 29, 2019
6:00 PM – 10:00 PM
- Click here to visit the district website.
- Rotary Club of La Jolla is one of sixty clubs in the San Diego area’s Rotary District 5340 and one of the 34,000 clubs that make up our parent organization,
- Published weekly by Rotary Club of La Jolla Visit our club website: http://www.rotarycluboflajolla.com/ Friend us on Facebook Questions/Issues/Feedback: email@example.com