February 26th 2019
President Kevin Quinn welcomed fellow Rotarians and guests to the Rotary Club of La Jolla, noting the extra inspiration provided by our view from La Valencia Hotel.
Inspiration: Kevin Quinn
Pledge: Sid Stutz
Song: America the Beautiful led by David Shaw and Bill Burch.
Michael Lancaster in his second visit to the club; Jessica Krickscian who attended as a guest of Jane Reldan; other guests were Ann Holt and Amir and Riga Kazerani.
- Kevin Quinn thanked Cindy Goodman for stepping in to take over as Chair of the Community Service Committee while Judy Nelson takes a leave of absence.
- RYLA interviews are happening Thursday Feb 28th from 8am until Noon. This is a rewarding way to be involved. Contact Craig Schniepp if you can help.
- John Trifiletti shared an opportunity to attend a lecture given by author and Holocaust survivor Dr. Edith Eva Eger at The Bishop’s School. RSVP online at https://woltmanlecturebishopsdreger.eventbrite.com
- The 2019 District Conference will be held March 1 to 3 – Susan Rutan will present on the upcoming humanitarian trip to Puerto Rico.
- Rotary 1012018 District Training Assembly is on March 30th. Held only once a year, District Training Assembly offers training for Rotarians including club officers, directors, and committee chairs to help them become more effective club leaders. All club members, especially Red Badgers, are welcome and encouraged to attend.
- 2019 Foundation Gala is on April 29
- Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 3:00 PM – La Jolla Music Society/George Li, Piano will be performing. It is the opening week of The Conrad.Tickets are $38. See Sally Fuller if you wish to attend.
- Dave Weston and Susan Stevens were married this past week in Hawaii. Congratulations are in order! We look forward to seeing them when they return from their honeymoon travels.
What I Do: John Trifiletti
Past-president John Trifiletti is a fundraising professional at The Bishops School in La Jolla.He is passionate about his profession and has over 40 years of experience. John stated that to be a good fundraiser you should remember when you learned about philanthropy, and take the time with people to ask them about their philanthropy experiences and their interests. On his tombstone, he plans to have the words: “He asked.”
- Jane Reldan is happy to be back from a good but cold ski trip in Canada.
- Penny Shurtleff is happy to be celebrating 49 years with her husband Gordon.
- Dick Woltman shared that he is happy to be sponsoring the Woltman Lecture Series to promote civility in our world that seems, at times, to lose sight of civility. Holocaust survivor and author Dr. Edith Eva Eger will be lecturing at The Bishops School on March 5th as part of this lecture series.
Speaker: Heath Fox, La Jolla Historical Society
Charles Hartford introduced today’s speaker. Heath Fox is the Executive Director of the La Jolla Historical Society. He shared his passion for the history, community and life of La Jolla, and gave a presentation that started with an early La Jolla Village map from 1887. His presentation covered significant people, properties and events up to the current day. The La Jolla Secret Garden Tour is upcoming up May 17 and 18. Information is available online.
President’s Closing Quote:
“Not to know what has been transacted in former times is to be always a child. If no use is made of the labors of past ages, the world must remain always in the infancy of knowledge.”
Reported by Randy Mulch . Photos By Shabnam Miglani . Edited by Diane Salisbury.
Check Out this Weeks News Bits. Click the Logo Below
From The Pages of:
Club Meetings Unless otherwise noted, all club meetings are Tuesday, 12:00 noon – 1:30 p.m. at La Valencia Hotel, 1132 Prospect St., La Jolla (Map) Check out the Upcoming Guest Speakers on the Club Calendar
- Peace Forum
Feb 23, 2019
- 2019 District Conference
Mar 01, 2019 12:00 PM –
Mar 03, 2019 11:00 AM
- RYLA Youth Conference
Apr 12, 2019 – Apr 14, 2019
- 2019 Foundation Gala
Apr 29, 2019
6:00 PM – 10:00 PM
- Click here to visit the district website.
- Rotary Club of La Jolla is one of sixty clubs in the San Diego area’s Rotary District 5340 and one of the 34,000 clubs that make up our parent organization,
- Published weekly by Rotary Club of La Jolla Visit our club website: http://www.rotarycluboflajolla.com/ Friend us on Facebook Questions/Issues/Feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org