March 12th, 2019
President Kevin Quinn welcomed fellow Rotarians and guests to the Rotary Club of La Jolla.
Inspiration:Peter Nguyen: “Love yourself unconditionally, deeply listen to your heart’s desire and every day take at least one courageous and inspired step toward making your dream a reality.”
Pledge: Will Creekmur
Song: Aaron Hoffman led us in “God Bless America”
Rotarians David Gore from the Goleta Noon Club and Gordon Shurtleff from the Torrey Pines Club joined us for lunch. Harold Brown and Sheila Hardison, both from East County Transitional Living Center (ECTLC), joined us as guests of today’s speaker
- Bill Birch circulated a get well card for Claude Rosinsky, who is recovering from eye surgery.
- President Kevin Quinn is encouraging “Who Am I” presentations to increase awareness of members’ lives, passions and vocations.
- Sunday, April 14, 2019 · 3:00 PM – La Jolla Music Society/George Li, Piano will be performing. The tickets we purchased have been spoken for. If you cannot use tickets you purchased, please let Kevin know so that other members can use them.
- RYLA is April 12-14. Craig Schniepp needs the club’s help in locating a doctor who is willing to be on staff during the 3-day weekend, asour usual RYLA doctor cannot attend this year. The medical needs are usually minimal: scrapes and bruises, so not too strenuous, but they need a doctor at the camp. If you know a Rotarian doctor who may be able to help, please contact Mike Metts by phone at 619-417-6304 or email at email@example.com.
- There is a free “Women in Leadership” meeting on Wednesday, March 13 at 5:30 pm. Erika Torri, CEO of the Athenaeum, will be the speaker. Sally Fuller started this event 5 years ago.
- Rotary District Training Assembly will be on March 30. Held only once a year, District Training Assembly offers training for Rotarians, including club officers, directors, and committee chairs, to help them become more effective club leaders. All club members, especially Red Badgers, are welcome and encouraged to attend.
- A big weekend in late April: April 27 is “Rotarians at Work Day” and our club is helping staff a water station at the La Jolla Half Marathon on Sunday the 28th.
- The Rotary District 5340 Padres Outing ison Tuesday, April 16th at 6:10pm as the Padres take on the Colorado Rockies. Come see District Governor Mel Gallegos throw out the first pitch and the annual Rotary Flag-Raising Ceremony. Ticket purchase deadline: April 1st at 11:59pm PST
- The2019 Foundation Gala will be on April 29
- There is an opportunity for Rotarians to attend the 2nd Annual East Africa Rotary Projects Fair. Rotarians from our district are invited to join other Rotarians for an upcoming trip to Mombasa, Kenya, in May 2019.
- Charles Hartford is happy his daughter is attending the Global Leadership Convention.
- Diane Salisbury is happy for support she’s received from the club and attendance of the La Jolla Symphony & Chorus by fellow Rotarians. This weekend, March 16 & 17, is the Bernstein Centennial Concert, featuring Bernstein’s “Kaddish” Symphony.
- Bill Birch is thankful because a fellow Rotarian referred a client who had financial challenges. They were able to find a path to get the client into a home!
- Russ King is rehearsing another “Bad Boy” role with the San Diego Opera, appearing in Carmen, which opens in about two weeks.
- Gordon Shurtleff is happy for the fun and comradery with the Torrey Pines Club, which is celebrating its 55th Anniversary on June 29.
- Cindy Goodman had a great visit and gift of dinner with her daughter.
- Aaron Hoffman is happy for Michigan State Basketball and his kids who text back and forth to keep in touch.
Speaker: Chris Wiley, East County Transition Living Center (ECTLC)
John Donaldson introduced speaker Chris Wiley of ECTLC, a faith-based nonprofit business that works to change lives of people hurting and homeless in San Diego County.
Chris shared that ECTLC is a completely substance abuse-free environment, where people can overcome addiction, develop a work ethic and become a contributing member of our community once again. This includes complete 4-year scholarships to Grand Canyon University for those that complete the ECTLC residential program, have or obtain their GED, and maintain an “A” average while attending the University. ECTLC Founder Harold Brown answered questions along with Mr. Wiley.
President Kevin Quinn shared a quote from Gordon B. Hinckley:
“The best antidote I know for worry is work. The best cure for weariness is the challenge of helping someone who is even more tired. One of the great ironies of life is this: He or she who serves almost always benefits more than he or she who is served.”
Tijuana Home Build
Reported by Randy Mulch. Photos By Susan Rutan. Edited by Diane Salisbury.
Check Out this Weeks News Bits. Click the Logo Below
From The Pages of:
Club Meetings Unless otherwise noted, all club meetings are Tuesday, 12:00 noon – 1:30 p.m. at La Valencia Hotel, 1132 Prospect St., La Jolla (Map) Check out the Upcoming Guest Speakers on the Club Calendar
- 2019 District Training Assembly – USD
Mar 30, 2019
8:30 AM – 12:00 PM
- Model UN 2019
Apr 06, 2019 – Apr 07, 2019
- RYLA Youth Conference
Apr 12, 2019 – Apr 14, 2019
- Rotarians at Work Day
Apr 27, 2019
- 2019 Foundation Gala
Apr 29, 2019
6:00 PM – 10:00 PM
- Thousand Smiles Clinic
May 03, 2019 8:00 AM –
May 04, 2019 3:00 PM
- 2019 Rotary International Convention Hamburg
Jun 01, 2019 – Jun 05, 2019
- Thousand Smiles Clinic
Aug 02, 2019 8:00 AM –
Aug 03, 2019 3:00 PM
Click here to visit the district website.
- Rotary Club of La Jolla is one of sixty clubs in the San Diego area’s Rotary District 5340 and one of the 34,000 clubs that make up our parent organization,
- Published weekly by Rotary Club of La Jolla Visit our club website: http://www.rotarycluboflajolla.com/ Friend us on Facebook Questions/Issues/Feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org