March 19th, 2019
President Kevin Quinn welcomed fellow Rotarians and guests to the Rotary Club of La Jolla.
Inspiration: Bill Burch gave a prayer of thanks and recounted our many blessings.
Pledge: Christian Winter
Song: Randy Mulch,“God Bless America”
A Message of Thanks — From Stip, Macedonia!
Kevin Quinn read an email from Mitko Demirovski, the president of Rotary Club Stip in Macedonia: “First, let me introduce our club. Rotary Club Stip was founded on June 16, 2017, and this is our second year of operation. Currently, we are 18 club members with fresh ideas and energy to make changes in our community. This is the first club in our town and therefore a bit difficult to get some awareness, but with the right projects we hope to achieve better visibility and get more contributions in the future. We want to thank you for your support of our projects — renovating a music room in the DMUC Sergej Mihajlov School in Stip, buying English language books for students studying in the primary school Goce Delcev Tri Cheshmi, and for the American Corner in the city library.” Our club donated $3000 to the Stip Rotary to help finance these projects.
- Sally Fuller thanked club members for the letters and emails of sympathy at the passing of her son. She said he received the best of care at Scripps MD Anderson Cancer Center.
- Bob Pecora is looking for volunteers to interview students for STRIVE scholarships. STRIVE was started by club members Dick Woltman and Burt Housmann to help students of Garfield High that are at-risk of not graduating, by offering them a $1000 scholarship to pay for their first year of college or vocational school. Interviews will be held on Friday, May 3 at 8:30 a.m. at the school. Contact Bob if you would like to help.
- Bill Burch reminded us about Rotarians at Work Day, which will be Saturday, April 27th. We’re looking for volunteers to team up with students from La Jolla High School to beauty our community. The plan is to replant about 30 of the 140 hanging planters around town that need refreshing. Let’s have a good turnout! Details to come.
- Kevin Quinn says the La Jolla Half Marathon still needs our help. Our club has signed on to operate Water Station 6 on North Torrey Pines Road, handing out water bottles to the passing runners, on Sunday, April 28. Cindy Goodman will bring a sign-up sheet next meeting.
- Sunday, April 14, 2019 · 3:00 PM – La Jolla Music Society/George Li, Piano will be performing. It is the opening week of The Conrad.If you purchased tickets but are unable to attend, please let Sally Fuller know.
La Jolla Rotary Club Remembers Karla Marsh
Kevin Quinn shared the following email from Chuck Marsh. “Dear family and friends,
The gates of Heaven opened for Karla. She died peacefully in her sleep here at White Sands early Monday morning. Her children and I will be planning a Celebration of Life in late April. We will be back in touch with details later. Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers.”
- David Shaw is leaving for a two-week trip to Spain with his wife and granddaughter.
- Elyse Banks is looking forward to traveling over the next couple of weeks.
- Will Creekmur is running in the La Jolla Half Marathon for the third year in a row. He will be the one wearing flip-flops, as he has for past races. He hopes to see his fellow Rotarians there.
- Fermie Cupit is happy to be back from her trip to the Philippines, aka “paradise.”
- Aaron Hoffman is happy that his team made it into the Big 10.
Speaker: Tom Buchholz, MD, Medical Director of Scripps MD Anderson Cancer Center
Charles Hartford introduced today’s speaker. Thomas Buchholz, in his role as Medical Director, is responsible for directing all clinical activities and programs at Scripps MD Anderson Cancer Center. He also maintains a clinical practice focused on radiation oncology and breast cancer, and he has made significant scientific and academic contributions over the course of his career. Dr. Buchholz described the times as one of “Hope and Urgency” in cancer research and treatment. This year, 600,000 will die of cancer. The disease is so common that it affects 1 in 3 people over their lifetime. Last year alone, there were 2 million cases. One of the reasons we are seeing this increase is because people are living longer and detection methods have improved. A few facts:
- Tobacco remains the #1 carcinogen.
- Over 40% of cancer is avoidable with a healthy lifestyle that includes proper diet, exercise and protection from sun exposure.
- Viruses are a common cause of cancer, such as hepatitis, HIV.
- Don’t wait. As soon as you are diagnosed, seek immediate treatment.
Dr. Buchholz moved to San Diego last year after spending 20 years in Houston at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. He is part of the new MD Anderson Cancer Center that is now part of Scripps. He spoke about MDACC’s approach to care as “integrative,” with a team of experts from surgeons to nutritionists working together.
The “hope” in cancer is that advances in treatment are saving lives and improving recovery. Advances include:
- Less invasive surgery techniques
- Improved precision with robotics
- Enhanced recovery procedures
- Gene sequencing for targeted therapies
- Immunotherapy that activates immune cells to kill the cancer
- Development of new targeted drugs
After thanking our speaker, President Kevin Quinn adjourned the meeting.
Reported by Diane Salisbury. Photos By Shabnam Miglani. Edited by Diane Salisbury.
Check Out this Weeks News Bits. Click the Logo Below
From The Pages of:
Club Meetings Unless otherwise noted, all club meetings are Tuesday, 12:00 noon – 1:30 p.m. at La Valencia Hotel, 1132 Prospect St., La Jolla (Map) Check out the Upcoming Guest Speakers on the Club Calendar
- 2019 District Training Assembly – USD
Mar 30, 2019
8:30 AM – 12:00 PM
- Model UN 2019
Apr 06, 2019 – Apr 07, 2019
- RYLA Youth Conference
Apr 12, 2019 – Apr 14, 2019
- Rotarians at Work Day
Apr 27, 2019
- 2019 Foundation Gala
Apr 29, 2019
6:00 PM – 10:00 PM
- Thousand Smiles Clinic
May 03, 2019 8:00 AM –
May 04, 2019 3:00 PM
- 2019 Rotary International Convention Hamburg
Jun 01, 2019 – Jun 05, 2019
- Thousand Smiles Clinic
Aug 02, 2019 8:00 AM –
Aug 03, 2019 3:00 PM
Click here to visit the district website.
- Rotary Club of La Jolla is one of sixty clubs in the San Diego area’s Rotary District 5340 and one of the 34,000 clubs that make up our parent organization,
- Published weekly by Rotary Club of La Jolla Visit our club website: http://www.rotarycluboflajolla.com/ Friend us on Facebook Questions/Issues/Feedback: email@example.com