May 15th, 2018
In the Verandah Room of the La Valencia Hotel, President John Trifiletti called to order the 42ndmeeting of his Club presidency with a Rudyard Kipling quote in honor of the recent Mother’s Day celebrations: “God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers.”
Inspiration: Don Wilson
As Rotarians, we are blessed with lives of relative luxury, and opportunities unknown to many. Don led a prayer about living our lives with honesty, as we consider our priorities, and our opportunity to help others.
Pledge: Christian Winter
Song: Shabnam Miglani, with assistance from Sid Stutz, led us in a spirited rendition of “Nani Teri Morni Ko Mor Le Gaye.”
Marcia Nordstrom was a guest of Laurnie Durisoe. She is a local realtor (not related to the department store chain by the same name) and is interested in giving back to the community.
Angela Felice, guest of Dirk Harris, is the daughter of Tony Felice, a former long-time member of Rotary Club of La Jolla. As a Soroptimist, she is familiar with philanthropy, and is particularly interested in talking with members who knew her father when he was a member of the Club. She teaches cooking and provides catering services. Garey and Maxine Cooper joined us. Maxine is a retired hospital administrator, and her husband “a devoted family man.” Anna Nierenberg came as a guest of today’s speaker, Dr. Brian Keating.
- Check Your Email! Dave Brockett urged all Rotarians to please check our email, specifically for messages from email@example.com, because a number of us are in arrears with our dues.
- Scholarship Winners Announced. Wade Aschbrenner thanked the six Rotarians who participated in the successful scholarship interviews on the morning of Saturday, May 12th. Thirteen graduates from La Jolla High, The Bishop’s School, La Jolla Country Day, and the Preuss School shared $58,000 of college scholarship funds that will be distributed from the La Jolla Rotary Foundation. On May 29, 2018, the winners of the scholarships, along with their parents will be attending our weekly Rotary meeting.
- May 20 (Sunday) at 5:30pm: Last call! Orrin and Karen Gabsch will host a social event at their lovely La Jolla home, which will include food, drink, and guided (by Orrin) tours of the Gabsch’s extensive and significant collection of American Western Art. This will be the last opportunity to see their Western Art collection intact, for they soon will be moving to a smaller home. Orrin and Karen generously have agreed to underwrite out-of-pocket costs related to this event, so that the entire $125 per-person cost to attend will augment the funds to be used for La Jolla Rotary Club’s Senior Citizen Outreach. The address is 6105 La Jolla Scenic South, La Jolla, CA 92037.
- May 23 (Wednesday):Planning Committee meeting held by Penny Shurtleff at her home at 5:30 pm for the August 12, 2018 League House Picnic, celebrating its 15th
- May 30 (Wednesday): Laurnie Durisoe will be honored by the Salvation Army at a special awards luncheon as a 2018 “Woman of Dedication.” John Trifiletti has started a table at the luncheon at the San Diego Marriott and Marina. If you are interested in joining him, please let John know.
- July 11 (Wednesday):Dirk Harris announced that we are taking up Padres’ managing partner Peter Seidler’s invitation to attend a Padres game as guests in the owners’ box. Mark your calendar, and see Dirk for more information.
- October 6 (Saturday):Gala Chair Judy Nelson reminds us to save the date for the club’s annual fundraiser, Laughing Under the Stars.
Kevin Quinn contributed Happy Bucks after his daughter graduated from the University of Miami. She will travel to Europe before furthering her studies.
David Shaw is thrilled to be back after two weeks in Morocco.
Claude Rosinsky was happy that David went to Morocco, her native country. She will be traveling to Italy before undergoing a knee replacement.
Claire Reiss contributed Happy Bucks thanks to a great Mother’s Day with her family.
Dirk Harris went to Las Vegas, where he was thrilled to watch his daughter’s win in the National Cheerleading Competition.
Penny Shurtleff just returned with her husband, Gordon, from visiting another Rotary Club –Gordon’s 273rdRotary visit! Gordon turns 80 on June 24.
Professor Brian Keating, Astrophysicist
President-Elect Kevin Quinn introduced today’s speaker, Professor Brian Keating. Dr. Keating is a professor in the UCSD Department of Physics. He and his team develop instrumentation to study the early universe at radio, microwave and infrared wavelengths. He is the author of over 100 scientific publications and holds two U.S. Patents. He received an NSF CAREER award in 2006 and a 2007 Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers at the White House from President Bush for a telescope he invented and deployed at the U.S. South Pole Research Station called “BICEP”. Professor Keating became a Fellow of the American Physical Society in 2016. He co-leads the Simons Array and Simons Observatory Cosmic Microwave Background experiments in the Atacama Desert of Chile. His book “Losing the Nobel Prize,” on sale at a discount after the meeting with Dr. Keating autographing it, details his quest to find the origin of the universe and win and now reform the Nobel Prize.
President’s Closing Quote:
John Trifiletti offered the following, attributed to the great Yogi Berra:
“It ain’t over till it’s over.”
“When you come to a fork in the road, take it.”
“It’s like déjà vu all over again.”
Do you play piano or keyboard?
Contact Pat Stouffer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reported by Jane Reldan. Photos By David Shaw. Edited by Diane Salisbury.
Check Out this Weeks News Bits. Click the Logo Below
From The Pages of:
Club Meetings Unless otherwise noted, all club meetings are Tuesday, 12:00 noon – 1:30 p.m. at La Valencia Hotel, 1132 Prospect St., La Jolla (Map) Check out the Upcoming Guest Speakers on the Club Calendar
- 2018 Governors Dinner – La Jolla Marriott
Jun 04, 2018
5:30 PM – 8:00 PM
- 2018 RI International Convention
Toronto, Ontario, CanadaJun 23, 2018 – Jun 27, 2018
- Rotary Day at the Ballpark Padres vs. Cubs
Jul 15, 2018
- District Membership Seminar
University of San DiegoAug 04, 2018
8:30 AM – 12:00 PM
- Rotary Day at the Ballpark Padres vs. Angels
Aug 14, 2018
- District Council August 21, 2018
Aug 21, 2018
5:30 PM – 8:00 PM
- Click here to visit the district website.
- Rotary Club of La Jolla is one of sixty clubs in the San Diego area’s Rotary District 5340 and one of the 34,000 clubs that make up our parent organization,
- Published weekly by Rotary Club of La Jolla Visit our club website: http://www.rotarycluboflajolla.com/ Friend us on Facebook Questions/Issues/Feedback: email@example.com