October 9th, 2018
President Kevin Quinn welcomed Rotarians and guests, reminding us how fortunate we are to meet at the beautiful La Valencia Hotel nestled above the La Jolla Cove. A truly inspiring combination.”
Invocation: Cindy Goodman
Pledge: Nick McCluskey
Song: John Donaldson– U.S. Merchant Marine Academy Theme Song!
Kurt Klimt joined us from his Rotary Club on the Big Island of Hawaii. Sabine Ostroff came from Club 33 in downtown San Diego. Other guests included: Kathleen Prichard, making a third visit as a guest of Claude Rosinsky; Celeste LeSage, a guest of Elyse Banks; Gordon Finst, a guest of Dave Brockett; Andrew Otis, a guest of Ted Rutter; and Ellen Simpson, a guest of Femie Cupit.
- Kevin Quinn reported that “Laughing Under the Stars” was a huge success Saturday night! He thanked and congratulated Judy Nelson for chairing the event
- Judy Nelson thanked her Gala Committee: Peter Nguyen, Susan Farrell, Katie Acosta-King, Ken King, John Trifiletti, Laurnie Durisoe, Penny Shurtleff, Christian Winter, Susan Rutan, Deb Plotkin, Elyse Banks, Shabnam Miglani, Dirk Harris, Jonathan Mann, Kevin Quinn, Ken King,Will Creekmur, Dave Brockett and emcee Josh Lawson. Financial results from the Gala:
- $86,335 Revenue
- $26,904 Expense
- $59,431 Profit!!!
- Cindy Goodman announced that club member Carlos Malamud became a U.S. citizen after having a green card for 30 years.
- Craig Schniepp announced that Interact Club at La Jolla High School has its own website and Instagram account. And, after many years of trying, he has successfully organized an Interact Club at The Bishop’s School. Craig also announced that this year’s first Tijuana Home Build will be on November 17.
- Pat Stouffer relayed from club member John Brown that John’s daughter Allison Brown will give a concert on Saturday, January 19 at the Athenaeum Music & Arts Library.
- Camille McKinnie says that Don Dewhurst is at home recovering from hip replacement. If all goes well, he expects to be back attending Rotary the first week of November.
- “Save the date” — Saturday, November 10. The club is invited to celebrate with the Tijuana Rotary Club a magical evening to remember “Noche de Catrinas Nov 10.” The evening is based on Mexico’s tradition of remembering friends and family during the Day of the Dead celebrations, just like in the film “Coco.” You will be treated to the sights, sounds and tastes of this holiday in a beautiful downtown Tijuana location. The evening will include a gourmet dinner, dancing, casino games, and auction fun, as well as special surprises. Tickets are $150. Net funds raised will contribute to the Tijuana Community Center that focuses on mentoring youth to college. More details will be shared as the time grows closer. A special Rotary overnight rate is available at the Tijuana Marriott.
- District Council Dinner, October 16, 2018: Registration and Reception begins at 5:30 pm. Cost $45.00. Registration ends on October 12. The dinner will be at SEA 180 at 800 Seacoast Dr, Imperial Beach, CA 91932. Valet Parking provided free.
- Rotary International District 5340 will hold its 2019 Foundation Gala at the Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine on November 10, 2018 from 6pm to 9pm. Cost is $95. Black tie optional
John Donaldson gave $100 in honor of Judy Nelson and her birthday. Leanne MacDougall was happy to be back at Rotary after an extended absence. Dick Woltman gave happy bucks in honor of his 89thbirthday!
Speaker: Paul Greenwood, DDA
Charles Hartford introduced Paul Greenwood, Deputy District Attorney (DDA) and expert in elder abuse. Paul received the Lifetime Achievement Award this past Saturday from the District Attorney Association. Mr. Greenwood told the story of how, in 1984, he was selected by his Rotary Club in Sussex to go on an exchange program to East Africa. He gained 35 lb. while there! A year later, he ran the Paris Marathon. Prior to moving to the U.S., Paul visited every summer and met his wife here. They’ve been married for 40 years. Paul Brenner, a former Rotary Club of La Jolla member, encouraged Paul to move to San Diego. Club member Chuck Dick was instrumental in getting him hired as DDA. In May 2018, Paul became a U.S. Citizen.
Thoughts as a prosecutor in the 22 years since he initiated the Elder Abuse project:
- Many victims are WWII veterans and survivors.
- Elder abuse will be a growing problem, and more geriatric case managers will be needed.
- The number one problem is isolation – perpetrators prey on isolated seniors.
- Mini-iPads are a good way for seniors to stay in touch with family members.
Warning signs of Elder Abuse are unlicensed and un-vetted caregivers. Paul believes that we need to have a more robust Adult Protective Services and advocates making “undue influence” a crime in California.
Parting thought: Never feel guilty about spending money on yourself when you are elderly. Take a SKI Vacation: “Spending Kids Inheritance”!
President’s Closing Quote: “Beware the barrenness of a busy life.” Socrates
Laughing Under the Stars:
Reported by David Shaw. Photos By David Shaw. Edited by Diane Salisbury.
Check Out this Weeks News Bits. Click the Logo Below
From The Pages of:
Club Meetings Unless otherwise noted, all club meetings are Tuesday, 12:00 noon – 1:30 p.m. at La Valencia Hotel, 1132 Prospect St., La Jolla (Map) Check out the Upcoming Guest Speakers on the Club Calendar
- LEAD ConferenceOct 13, 2018 8:00 AM –
Oct 14, 2018 4:00 PM
- District Council Dinner October 16, 2018Oct 16, 2018
5:30 PM – 8:00 PM
- Peace Leadership SeminarOct 20, 2018
9:00 AM – 12:30 PM
- Rotary Leadership InstituteJan 12, 2019
- Peace ForumFeb 23, 2019
- 2019 District ConferenceMar 01, 2019 12:00 PM –
Mar 03, 2019 11:00 AM
- RYLA Youth ConferenceApr 12, 2019 – Apr 14, 2019
- Click here to visit the district website.
- Rotary Club of La Jolla is one of sixty clubs in the San Diego area’s Rotary District 5340 and one of the 34,000 clubs that make up our parent organization,
- Published weekly by Rotary Club of La Jolla Visit our club website: http://www.rotarycluboflajolla.com/ Friend us on Facebook Questions/Issues/Feedback: email@example.com