Passionate. Humorous. Inspiring.
Alex Montoya is an award-winning author, international speaker, and life coach. He founded A-MOtivational Communications in 2015 to deliver presentations to businesses, schools, churches, and more. Prior to launching his business, he oversaw Hispanic community outreach for the San Diego Padres baseball club and San Diego Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.
Alex’s message is about overcoming obstacles to succeed in business, education, and community service. Drawing on his experiences as a triple amputee from birth, Alex blends emotion and humor into his presentations.
He has authored four books:
- Swinging for the Fences (2008)
- The Finish Line (2012)
- See the Good (2016)
- Wolfpack (2017)
All four books are available on Amazon and through www.alexmontoya.org.
Alex has also achieved the following:
- Selected as featured author of 2018 MiraCosta College “Reading Festival”
- Bestowed a 2017 “San Diego Award” for life coaching
- San Diego City Schools Hall of Fame as a pioneer student transitioned from special education to a mainstream classroom
- Awarded a “Lifetime Achievement Award” by the San Diego County Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (2012) and “Community Visionary Award” by the San Diego Cesar E. Chavez Commemoration Committee (2010)
- Appointed to California Committee on Employment of People with Disabilities (CCEPD)
- Rotary International “Paul Harris Fellow” for leadership via Rotary Club initiatives
- Olympic Torch carrier for the 1996 Summer Olympic Games held in Atlanta, Georgia
- KPBS-TV “Community Hero” selection (2014)
- San Diego High School “Wall of Honor” member (2013)
- San Diego Metropolitan Magazine “40 Under 40” winner (2013)
- San Diego Magazine “50 People to Watch” selection (2000)
- Appeared in the films Artificial Intelligence andMinority Reportand the television series Pitch
- Endurance-race participant who has completed two half-marathon relay-team races and several 5K events
Alex travels the country delivering his message as a speaker, and has spoken at places such as NASA and Harvard University. He has spoken at national conferences for the United States Hispanic Leadership Institute (USHLI) and participated in the “Ford Driving Dreams” tour, promoting Ford Motor Company’s scholarship program for youth.
Alex earned his Bachelor’s Degree from the University of Notre Dame and a Master’s Degree from the University of San Francisco. He has also completed a Personal Development certification program at Harvard.
He is also the Chair of the Board of Directors for the Gurmilan Foundation, which raises funds assisting people with disabilities in San Diego and Tijuana, Mexico.
A native of Medellin, Colombia, Alex immigrated to San Diego, California, where he resides. He is involved in several church and civic activities. Alex may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.